Going to high school involves many changes, like personal, cognitive, and spiritual growth; developing relationships; and growing in identity and purpose. There are times when it might be beneficial to talk with someone about the challenges of navigating these changes. WLA has the following resources available to students:
Vice Principal Pastor Brad Wright is available to speak with students and provide counseling and spiritual support.
Christian Family Counseling
WLA partners with WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions to maintain an on-campus counseling center with scheduled office hours. WLCFS provides a wide range of individual and family counseling services. All of the professional mental health therapists at the WLA on-campus clinic are licensed by the state of Wisconsin. Students interested in meeting with a counselor through WLCFS will need parental consent.
WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions will work with WLA students and families to determine the best route for delivering services in a cost-effective manner. There is no cost for an initial set of five (5) counseling hours. If additional counseling services are needed after the 5th session, there are several options to pay for continued services:
- Students may continue seeing a WLCFS counselor, and they will submit claims through the student’s health insurance provider. The staff at WLCFS will work with the student and family to determine the best options for submitting health insurance claims.
- The student can choose to continue their services with the WLCFS counselors and can pay privately with a Prompt Pay discount. This discount allows students to receive 50-60% off the cost of all clinical services.
- If the Prompt Pay discount is too much for students or their families to manage, they may submit a sliding fee discount application, which can be found at www.ChristianFamilySolutions.org. Please ask your counselor for details.
Students who already have a working relationship with a WLCFS counselor may consider continuing with their current arrangement, as often a consistent and established support network proves beneficial in successfully navigating high school life.
Common areas of concern for personal counseling include:
- Alcohol Problems
- Illicit Drug Use
- Relationship Issues
- Eating Disorders/Body Image
- Sexuality/Sexual Assault/Abuse
- Stress Management
- Suicide or Suicidal Behavior
Counseling services through WLCFS can be requested online or by calling 800.438.1772. The on-campus counseling center is located in a private area at WLA, or if you prefer, you can also meet with one of the counselors from WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions at their off-campus clinic in Fond du Lac located at 757 South Main Street, Suite 8.
Crisis Information or Emergency
Should you have an emergency, go to your hospital emergency room or call 911. Should you need to talk to someone right away, the following crisis lines are available 24/7:
WLCFS-Christian Family Solutions: 800.438.1772
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.8255
Winnebago County Human Services Crisis Services 920.233.7707
YScreen is an emotional health screen offered to all 9th graders in Fond du Lac County to identify risk factors for depression, anxiety, and suicide. With parental permission, 9th grade students at WLA are interviewed by a YScreen counselor and referred to WLCFS for further evaluation as needed. More information on YScreen can be found by following the links provided below or by contacting a YScreen Program Coordinator at 920-906-6700, ext. 4714.