WI Parental Choice Program
Winnebago Lutheran Academy is part of the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP). For those students selected to the WPCP, the family receives a voucher from the state of Wisconsin that pays their student’s WLA tuition in full. The open application period for the statewide Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP) for the 2017-2018 school year runs from February 1, 2017 through April 20, 2017.
Those eligible to receive a new voucher are those students entering 9th grade and those transferring from a public school. Those who received a voucher for the 2016-2017 school year will need to re-apply for 2017-2018. It is a simplified process wherein families need to provide residency documentation but not income documentation.
Is Your Family Eligible for the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program?
The table below shows the income criteria for the 2017-2018 school year. The income table only applies to those applying to the WPCP for the first time. Family income is determined by the adjusted gross income (AGI) on your Federal 1040 income tax return for 2016.
Single Parent Household
|Family Size||Family Income at or below|
Two Parent (Married) Household
|Family Size||Family Income at or below|
- Add $7,696 for each additional family member above 6
- Family Income is the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on 1040 tax form
- Family Income is based on 185% of the Federal Poverty Level
Steps to Apply for Parental Choice at Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Students in need of financial assistance and who qualify for the WPCP, should apply for BOTH the WPCP program and for WLA Financial Aid. For those students NOT selected for a WPCP voucher, Financial Assistance from WLA will be available as in the past. WLA requires that all families who apply for Financial Aid from WLA also – if they qualify – apply for the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program.
1. Fill out the online application The online application needs to be completed through the WPCP website. The application is open from February 1, 2017 through April 20, 2017.
2. Provide Proof of Residency to WLA (All Applicants) WLA must be given a copy of ONE of the following documents. The document must be current (within the last three months).
- Current water, gas, electric, cable, satellite, or landline phone bill. (Cell phone & internet bills NOT acceptable).
- 2016 Property tax bill or current (signed and dated) lease agreement
- Current wage statement (can be a year-end W2)
- Recent government correspondence. Current benefits statements from access.wisconsin.gov
Families applying to the WPCP for the first time need to provide income documentation. It is preferred that families select the DPI Method. The DPI method makes it easier for WLA to verify applications.
3a. DPI Method Documentation (Preferred Method):
Acceptable documentation includes:
- Copy the first two pages of your 1040 Federal Income Tax Return for 2016. Return needs to be signed and dated by taxpayers.
- If your taxes are not completed, you may submit copies all 2016 income documentation (employer W2s, 1099s, etc).
- If you do not file for income tax, you must provide copies of all other income documentation for 2016 (Social Security statements, unemployment compensation statements, child support statements, etc).
3b. DOR Method:
Provide Social Security Number(s) of parents/guardians to WLA
What Does This Mean for Your Family?
- If your student is new to WLA and you have need for financial aid, apply for both WLA Financial Aid and the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program (WPCP) if you meet the income criteria of the WPCP.
- If your student is a returning student and has received or has a need for financial aid, you must apply annually. Returning students who did not receive a WPCP voucher in 2016-2017 will not be eligible to receive a voucher through the WPCP in 2017-2018.
- If your returning student received a voucher through the WPCP in the 2016-2017 school year, do not apply for WLA financial aid. Simply re-apply to the WPCP for a voucher. Returning families only need to verify residency on the application, not income.
Who Gets Picked for a Voucher Through WPCP?
Students who received a voucher through the WPCP to attend WLA in 2016-2017 will receive a voucher again the 2017-2018 as long as they can apply again and provide WLA with residency verification (income verification is not needed for those reapplying.)
Ninth grade is considered an entry point in the program. This means all incoming ninth graders who meet the income criteria are eligible to be picked. The cap for vouchers in the 2017-2018 school year is 2% of the school district’s total enrollment where the family resides. New students are selected by random draw by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
How Does This Program Benefit WLA Families?
In the 2016-2017 school year, WLA has fifty students receiving a voucher, from fourteen different school districts.
Who to Contact with Questions:
For immediate information or questions please call the WLA office (920-921-4930) or contact Principal David Schroeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Business Manager Eric Schraufnagel (email@example.com).
Thank you for your help in making this program an asset for our Academy as we move forward in our mission of bringing a distinct Lutheran education to the high school students of our Association and community.