International Student Program
Winnebago Lutheran Academy (WLA) is located in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA. Established in 1925, WLA is a private Lutheran school affiliated with the 150-year-old, fourth largest private school system in the United States of America. WLA is a four-year senior high school with an approved program of studies which meets or exceeds the requirements deemed necessary by the State of Wisconsin and the United States. The school also has a permit from the United States department of Education and the Department of Homeland Security to accept international students.
WLA’s main objective is to teach the truths of God’s Word and thus prepare our students for life after death through a belief in Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. WLA follows the “whole person” educational tradition, equipping students with knowledge in a broad spectrum of subject areas of the liberal arts – in science, mathematics, social science and English. We prepare students for further education on the university level, and encourage them to pursue personal growth, responsibility, and inner happiness. Winnebago Lutheran currently has 365 students enrolled, and we have reserved a few positions for international students to come and study in grades 9-12. Our curriculum is coordinated to prepare students for immediate entry into university programs, emphasizing English, mathematics, science, American culture and religion, history and social studies, music, foreign languages, and physical education. WLA also offers Latin, German, and Spanish as elective courses. Advanced students may also enroll in Advanced Placement (AP) courses, whereby upon completion a student may take a test to test out of selected university classes. After classes, there are a wide variety of activities on the campus for students in which to participate such as band, choir, drama, musicals, and piano. The campus also equipped with a gymnasium, outdoor athletic fields, and a weight room for sports activities. Every student may choose to participate in athletic programs of his or her interest. There are also a variety of on-campus student associations and groups. Eighty-five to ninety per cent of every WLA graduating class enrolls in a university, such as the University of Wisconsin, Michigan State University, Minnesota State University, and other private universities.
Fond du Lac, WI (mid-west) is an exciting, mid-size city at the foot of Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin’s largest inland lake. With a population inching over 42,000, Fond du Lac offers much. Fond du Lac’s location places it within 60 minutes of Wisconsin’s four major cities – Milwaukee, Madison, the Fox Cities and Green Bay – where half of the state’s population resides.
ACT Test Score Comparison (2014)
Prerequisites for enrollment
(all documents must be translated into English):
- 8th, 9th , 10th and 11th grade students, from 14 to 18 years old
- Must have proficient English ability (SLEP score over 50, TOEFL computer-based test score over 75, or IELTS score over 6.0)
- Academic transcripts from the previous three years
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers
- A letter from parents (guardian) explaining why they want their student to enroll in Winnebago Lutheran Academy
- The students “personal statement” explaining why the student wishes to enroll in WLA (must be hand-written by the student without assistance from others)
- A photocopy of the student’s valid passport
- U.S. $100 non-refundable application fee
- A picture of the student together with parents
The total fee for international students may be obtained by contacting Winnebago Lutheran Academy. This fee will include tuition, room and board, student’s insurance, and winter and spring break host-family boarding fee. Applications for the fall semester are due by the end of June.
- After the student’s visa has been issued, the student must pay the full fee of the first school year by electronic funds transfer to the school account; from the third semester, the student may pay by the semester, rather than the whole year, if desired
- The student must provide required documents as listed on Winnebago Lutheran Academy’s website
- The school administration will assign students to the appropriate grade level based on previous achievement
- We encourage all beginning students from China to fly together from Shanghai through Chicago to Milwaukee International Airport, Wisconsin
- In order to allow international students to have opportunity to experience real American life and to be immersed in an English speaking environment, the school will arrange for a friendly American family to host the student.
- We encourage international students to return to their parent’s homes during the summer vacation (if students would like to stay in the United states for summer vacation, the school may arrange for an American host family for the summer, but the student will have to pay additional host and boarding costs
- All travel fees are the responsibility of the student
In the summer of 2003, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) of the United States Government approved Winnebago Lutheran Academy (WLA) as a host school for international students. As a result, WLA is authorized through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to register and enroll international students apart from an established foreign exchange program. SEVIS is a web-based system for maintaining information on international students and exchange visitors in the United States.
The following guidelines are intended to provide information regarding the process and tasks necessary for international students to attend WLA. It is recommended that application be made early for the best opportunity for enrollment. Winnebago Lutheran Academy welcomes students from the area and from across the world. The WLA admissions department seeks a balance in representation with students from a variety of countries to create an academic environment that facilitates developing conversational English. Winnebago Lutheran Academy does not discriminate according to race, gender, or heritage, but reserves the right to accept and decline applicants in a manner that leads to the most conducive learning environment for all students. The majority of Winnebago Lutheran Academy’s student body comes from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) churches of the Winnebago Lutheran Academy High School Association. Students from other church bodies, and from foreign countries – along with students from other WELS congregations in northern Wisconsin completer our student body.
In past years, Winnebago Lutheran Academy has hosted international students from South Korea, Norway, Jamaica, Fiji, Russia, Kyrzygstan, and Albania. All students follow WLA’s religion curriculum and attend chapel.
Registration is to be completed through the Guidance Department of Winnebago Lutheran Academy. For information, contact International Student Coordinator Kristin Mose by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by phone at 920.921.4930, or by fax at 920.921.4280. Please provide an official email that WLA may use for follow-up contact. Enrollment and full participation in all classes and co-curricular is open to all students who are willing to abide by the philosophy and policies of Winnebago Lutheran Academy. WLA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its educational programs. All international student admissions to WLA will be reviewed and approved or denied through the Guidance Department.
You can begin registration by submitting the following document to email@example.com: